Lalvin D47™ has been isolated in France in the Côtes-du-Rhône area by the ICV (Institut Coopératif du Vin) to produce full-bodied barrel-fermented Chardonnay and other white varietal grapes. Due to the release of polysaccharides into the must during fermentation, this yeast contributes to a round, soft palate with good weight.
This process can also help to stabilize aromatic compounds. Lalvin D47™ is highly recommended to produce premium, barrel fermented Chardonnay. When left on lees, spicy, tropical and citrus notes will develop and the wine is then said to have a silky persistence. This strain is very compatible with malolactic-bacteria.
- GRAPE VARIETY PAIRING: Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Roussanne, Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier
- WINE STYLES: Complex white and Rosé wines with citrus and floral notes. Useful for a wide range of applications, including mead and fruit cider fermentations
- AROMA: Tropical fruit and white floral notes
- ALCOHOL TOLERANCE: Up to 15%
- FERMENTATION RANGE: 15-30°C (59-86°F)
- INOCULATION RATE: 0.2-0.4g/L