WildBrew Helveticus Pitch™
WildBrew Helveticus Pitch™ is a high-performance, high-purity lactic acid bacteria specifically selected for its ability to produce a wide range of sour beer styles. WildBrew Helveticus Pitch™ produces an intense and sharp citrus flavor profile typical of both traditional and modern sour beer styles. When inoculated at optimal temperature and the right conditions, it is a powerful, safe and easy way to handle bacteria for various beer souring techniques, such as a typical kettle souring process. Besides providing an outstanding performance, WildBrew Helveticus Pitch™ is capable of delivering consistent results for brewers. Styles brewed with this bacteria include, but are not limited to, Berliner Weisse, Gose, lambic-style, American Wild, and Sour IPA.
Classified as Lactobacillus helveticus, a facultative homo-fermentative strain.
- Viable bacteria > 1010 CFU/g
- Dry matter > 92%
- Coliform < 102 CFU/g
- Acetic bacteria < 104 CFU/g
- Moulds < 103 CFU/g
- Yeast < 103 CFU/g
In line with Lallemand’s strict quality control and assurance procedures, every single batch of WildBrew™ Helveticus Pitch is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests, guaranteeing the highest standards of purity, quality and performance.
In Lallemand’s Standard Wort conditions, WildBrew Helveticus Pitch™ bacteria exhibits:
- Fast pH drop that can be completed within 1-2 days (typically within 24 to 36 hours).
- High lactic acid and low acetic acid production.
- Aroma and flavor is citrus and tangy with a hint of fruit.
- The optimal temperature range for WildBrew Helveticus Pitch™ when producing sour beer styles is between 38°C to 45°C (100°F to 113°F).
Souring rate, fermentation time and pH drop are dependent on inoculation density, bacteria handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.
Please download our best practices guide: