Driﬁne S is puriﬁed isinglass in convenient powder form. It is added to beer at the end of fermentation to speed maturation and improve ﬁltration by removing yeasts and protein particles. For ease of use Driﬁne S in its standard form includes the necessary food grade acid, dispersal agent and preservative (sulphur dioxide) already blended.
The active component of Driﬁne S is isinglass (collagen). It is derived from the swim bladder of ﬁsh. Processing into ﬁnished form involves a regime of rigorous washing and sterilisation, followed by drying and milling. The precise nature of the action of collagen on yeast and proteins is not fully understood, and many suggestions have been promoted.
Collagen exists in solution as tightly bound triple helix strands which possess both positive and negative charged sites along their length. It is clear that the amino acid make-up of collagen, and speciﬁcally the high proportion of proline and hydroxyproline, contributes to its remarkable ability to remove both yeasts and proteins so eﬀectively.
In a typical application greater than 95% of yeast and 90% of protein particles are removed.
- Eﬃcient clariﬁcation at low addition rates.
- Unmatched ‘brilliance.’
- Gentle action with no associated detrimental ﬂavor changes.
- Compact sediment volume, therefore reduced losses.
- Eﬀective at low temperatures.
- No additional clariﬁers required in addition to its excellent clariﬁcation properties.
- Driﬁne S can help improve ﬂavor and aroma characteristics.
Driﬁne S addition rate may vary but would typically be around 50 mg/l.