LalBrew Köln™ is ideal for brewing traditional Kölsch-style beers and other neutral ales. The neutral character of this strain accentuates delicate hop aromas while imparting subtle fruity esters. Through expression of a beta-glucosidase enzyme LalBrew Köln™ can promote hop biotransformation and accentuate hop flavor and aroma. Colder fermentations will be more neutral in character, while warmer fermentations will have more fruit-forward ester profile.
Classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a top fermenting yeast.
Typical Analysis of LalBrew Köln™ yeast:
- Percent solids 93% – 97%
- Viability ≥ 1 x 109 CFU per gram of dry yeast
- Wild Yeast < 1 per 106 yeast cells
- Diastaticus Negative
- Bacteria < 1 per 106 yeast cells
- Finished product is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests.
In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) LalBrew Köln™ yeast exhibits:
- Fermentation that can be completed in 7 days, a bit slower than most ale strains. This is perfectly characteristic of this strain.
- Medium to High Attenuation and Medium Flocculation
- Neutral to slightly fruity and estery flavor and aroma
- The optimal temperature range for LalBrew Köln™ yeast when producing
- This strain is POF Negative
- Traditional styles is 15 – 25°C (59 – 77°F)
- Lag phase can be longer compared to other ale strains, ranging from 24-36 hours
Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.