Beer Haze Stabilization and Increased Shelf Life with Clarizyme™
Jul 28, 2023
For beer enthusiasts and brewers alike, the appearance and taste of a beer are essential factors in determining its quality. Haze in beer, caused by suspended particles, can negatively impact taste, visual appeal, and shelf life. More specifically, the most common permanent haze formation is interaction between haze forming (sensitive) proteins and haze forming (tannoid) polyphenols forms a visible colloidal haze that limits the stability of a product. So, what exactly is stability? The colloidal stability of beer is the period when it can be stored until its haze value (turbidity) becomes unacceptable, greatly impacting shelf life.
- There are a few ways to prevent haze in beer.
- Remove the sensitive proteins (containing proline) (Silica Gels)
- Remove the polyphenols before any oxidation can happen (PVPP)
- Cleave off the reactive part of the sensitive protein, where the bond between proline and polyphenol would normally occur, with a targeted enzyme. (Clarizyme™)
Introducing Clarizyme™, an innovative beer stabilization technology that offers a convenient and cost-effective solution for breweries all over the world. Clarizyme™ is a highly specific fungal endopeptidase enzyme, that targets haze-sensitive polypeptides at the carboxyl end of the amino acid proline, preventing haze in beer without affecting other beer quality aspects, specifically foam. Clarizyme™ acts by breaking down haze-sensitive polypeptides, inhibiting precipitation with polyphenols.
Simply put, the benefits of Clarizyme are as follows:
- Little-to-no investment or equipment needed
- Increases maturation production capacity
- Shortens processing time
- Prevents chill haze in beer keeping and ensuring quality and prolonging shelf life
- Can be used with all kinds of malts and other raw materials, making it a versatile brewing enzyme
This same process also degrades gluten into peptides thus reducing gluten into undetectable amounts (adequate dosage required). This enables the production of gluten-free/gluten-reduced beer from barley malt depending on the legislation of each country.
With AB Vickers Clarizyme™, you can both reduce gluten and stabilize haze without affecting the taste, flavor, body, or mouthfeel of your beer. AB Vickers Clarizyme™ is available in 1kg liquid form, if you would like more information, please check out our dedicated web page or feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.