LalBrew Köln™ is ideal for brewing traditional Kölsch-style beers and other neutral ales. The neutral character of this strain accentuates delicate hop aromas while imparting subtle fruity esters. Through expression of a beta-glucosidase enzyme LalBrew Köln™ can promote hop biotransformation and accentuate hop flavor and aroma. Colder fermentations will be more neutral in character, while warmer fermentations will have more fruit-forward ester profile.
Lallemand Brewing will no longer be producing LalBrew Köln™ in the foreseeable future. We invite you to contact your local supplier(s) to know if they have stocks left or to reach out for replacement options within the LalBrew range.
Classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a top fermenting yeast.
Typical Analysis of LalBrew Köln™ yeast:
- Percent solids 93% – 97%
- Viability ≥ 1 x 109 CFU per gram of dry yeast
- Wild Yeast < 1 per 106 yeast cells
- Diastaticus Negative
- Bacteria < 1 per 106 yeast cells
- Finished product is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests.
In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) LalBrew Köln™ yeast exhibits:
- Fermentation that can be completed in 7 days, a bit slower than most ale strains. This is perfectly characteristic of this strain.
- Medium to High Attenuation and Medium Flocculation
- Neutral to slightly fruity and estery flavor and aroma
- The optimal temperature range for LalBrew Köln™ yeast when producing
- This strain is POF Negative
- Traditional styles is 15 – 25°C (59 – 77°F)
- Lag phase can be longer compared to other ale strains, ranging from 24-36 hours
Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.